Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Formula To A Good Movie/Song

I was listening to "Open Up" by Dispatch (who are fucking awesome, by the way) today, and the song got me thinking. Here are the lyrics (or at least part of them). Check the song out here:.

VERSE:
they were looking for me when I came to
they were looking for me when I came back
said hey you, you're looking very suspicious
I said relax man get off my back
I said relax man get off my back

PRE-CHORUS:
I, I, I ain't opposed to seeking justice
but you're going about it all wrong
the man you're looking for does not exist
he's just a figment of the higher man's tounge

CHORUS:
(and they say)
open up we're comming inside
you can't run so you may as well hide
we got the place covered from head to toe, head to toe
open up we're comming inside
what's it feel like to know you're going to die
on the other side of the row
on the other side of the row

VERSE:
so they took me down to the gallows
and this boy he say to me
why do you smile when the rope's around your neck
I said I tell you boy when I get back
I said I tell you boy when I get back

PRE-CHORUS:
I, I, I ain't opposed to seeking justice
but you're going about it all wrong
the man you're looking for does not exist
he's just a figment of the higher man's tounge
he's just a victim of the higher man's tounge

CHORUS:
(and they say)
open up we're comming inside
you can't run so you may as well hide
we got the place covered from head to toe, head to toe
open up we're comming inside
what's it feel like to know you're going to die
on the other side of the row
on the other side of the row

BRIDGE:
hands above your head
que le via bien
step out of line we'll and fill you with lead

how are we to know that your not a liar
don't you see whe have a job to do
and our job is the law
you fit the description of a criminal crosser
we believe that he is you and that is your flaw
that is your flaw...
that is your flaw...

CHORUS:
and they say
open up we're comming inside
you can't run so you may as well hide
we got the place covered from head to toe, head to toe
open up we're comming inside
what's it feel like to know you're going to die
on the other side of the row
on the other side of the row

Now, if you're too impatient to read all of that, then here's the explanation: There's this guy who's on the run who claims that he's innocent. And he sings all the verses and the prechoruses. The police sing the chorus and the bridge, where they ask the man to surrender, and where they justify themselves. Both sides of the argument are shown, and both are shown to be convincing. The last chorus of the song is a very soft one, and it gradually builds into this power packed outro, which serves as the 'final battle'. This is an awesome example of how onomatopaeic music can be. The lyric doesn't tell us that the police kill the man, but the music does, and that's why it's so awesome.

Anyway, the whole point of this is the two voices, or the two people, or most basically, the good vs bad battle within the song. THIS is the secret formula for awesomeness. EVERY movie/song in which there's an epic musical battle is a hit, or is at least one to remember.

In the movie: The Pick of Destiny, the final battle (Beezleboss) between Tenacious D and the devil is a long single song, and it shows the kicking off, progress and end of the full battle in ONE song. Incidentally, the devil is played by Dave Grohl.

In 8 Mile, the rap face-off shows the good guy and the bad guy clearly demarkated, with Eminem bringing the odds against himself by going first and doing such an awesome job that the other rapper had no response.

In Padosan, Kishore Kumar and Mehmood both vie for the love of the lead actress via song (Ek chatur naar karke shringaar/Ek chatur naar badi hoshiyaar).

I can't think of anymore right now, but you get the point right? Musical face-offs are awesome, and everyone knows and agrees. Just shove it in your movie/album somewhere, and you've got it made.

PS: My band 'The Hoodwink Circle' has a song called "Mirror'd", which is about this guy who is singing in front of his mirror (the verse), and the mirror sings back to him in the pre chorus. Finally, they both sing the chorus together. Both parts are sung by different people (Vocalist sings the verses, the guitarist sings the pre-choruses). The song's there on our site. The site's there on this page. Sorry about the inadvertent PR. Emphasis on INADVERTANT.

No comments: